ISTE Certification: Online Professional Development
VITA-Learn is excited to host an online professional development cohort set to begin in October 28, 2020. We are partnering with IDEA Illinois, an ISTE Certification Authorized Provider.
The ISTE Certification is focused on pedagogy, not tools. It’s not about edtech per se, it’s about what you do with the tech to transform learning and improve student outcomes.
For classroom educators, coaches and library media specialists
ISTE Certification helps build an educator’s professional profile and provides a digital credential to demonstrate mastery and recognize his or her application of the ISTE Standards, which define what it means to be a 21st century educator using technology for learning.
ISTE Certification allows administrators to recognize educators leading the way with digital age teaching practices. ISTE Certification demonstrates to leaders those who have the initiative, drive and skills needed to transform, personalize and empower learning in the classroom and school. It also offers them a way to recognize and support educators focused on growth in this area.
How it works
Through the ISTE Certification process, educators will participate in 30 hours of dynamic synchronous and asynchronous online professional learning based on the ISTE Standards and transformative pedagogy. After completing the training, participants have six months to apply their learning and compile artifacts and reflections into a competency-based portfolio which will be evaluated by ISTE, the only organization that awards the certification.
SCHEDULE (APPROXIMATELY 30 HOURS)
- Detailed Agenda for synchronous days, Oct 28, Oct 31, Nov 7
- Pre-Assessment – to be sent to registered attendees one-two weeks prior (required)
- Prior Learning / Flipped PD (1-2 hours) Two Days Online Synchronous Training Session (12 hours)
- 9 weeks of Online Modules (Gallery Walk is open throughout the 8 weeks of online modules)
- Weeks 1-2: New Digital Citizenship (3-5 hours)
- Weeks 3-4: Designing for Diversity (3-5 hours)
- Weeks 5-6: Personalized Learning and Alternative Assessments (3-5 hours) and Virtual Check-In (1 hour)
- Week 7-8: Digital Learning: Design Thinking / Computational Thinking (3-5 hours)
- Week 9: Final Gallery Walk Artifact and Virtual Celebration / Evaluation (1 hour)
Illinois Digital Educators Alliance has been selected by ISTE to be an authorized provider of the ISTE Certification for Educators because of their commitment to high quality edtech professional learning and the ISTE Standards as a guide for transforming teaching and learning.
Steps to becoming an ISTE Certified Educator:
- Register for a training session
- Attend synchronous workshop (1-2 days)
- Complete online coursework (3-5 hours a week for 5 weeks)
- Prepare and submit an eportfolio to ISTE for review (6 months) – the educator will be provided access to a certification portal where participants can get feedback from their cohort while preparing their portfolio of artifacts and reflections.
- Once submitted, ISTE Certification Evaluators will review the artifacts. Those who successfully meet the certification will become ISTE Certified Educators.
For additional questions about ISTE Certification training sessions with Illinois Digital Educators Alliance, check out our Frequently Asked Questions.
Along with the certification, will the training count for graduate hours?
Yes. The ISTE Certification for Educators is eligible for graduate-level credit from Dominican University of California. A Certification participant becomes eligible for the graduate-level credit when he/she has progressed to the portfolio submission phase (i.e. successful completion of the face-to-face plus online components) and is awarded credit by Dominican University upon successful passage of the ISTE Certification portfolio. For additional information or to register please visit Dominican University of California’s site here. For additional questions about graduate-level credit in general and how it can be used, please read their FAQ.
- Course and ePortfolio Review Cost:
- $750 non-Vita-Learn Members
- $700 Vita-Learn Members
- Annual Membership Dues are $20. If you have not paid your membership yet, you can do so when you register for the course!
- If you are attending Vermont Fest, then your Annual Membership is included in the conference registration
- Cohort Meeting Dates:
- Wednesday, Oct. 28 8:30 pm – 9:30 pm Introductions and kick-off
- Saturday, Oct. 31 1:00 pm-4:00 pm Session 1
- Saturday, Nov. 7 10:00 pm-1:00 pm Session 2