Frank Watson Award
Frank Watson is an educational technology advocate who has been involved in education for over 50 years. Frank served as Executive Director of the Vermont Institute for Science, Math, and Technology (VISMT), Executive Director of VITA-Learn, and directed the University of Vermont College of Education Information Technology Program. Now retired, he continues to advocate for the best in education practice.
The award is presented to a person whose many years of devoted service, vision and leadership have significantly advanced Vermont educational technology at the local, regional and state level.
ISTE Making IT Happen Award
ISTE Making IT Happen is an internationally recognized awards program for educators and leaders in the field of educational technology integration in K–12 schools. It identifies and rewards educational technology leaders around the world for their commitment and innovation.
- 2011 Tim Comolli, Lauren Parren
- 2012 David Davidson, Josh Seamon
- 2013 Arlyn Bruccoli, John Minelli
- 2014 Kelly Ahlfed, Amy Truchon
- 2015 Bonnie Birdsall, Dan French
- 2016 John Minelli
- 2017 Karen McCalla, Steve Webster
- 2018 Lisa Barry, Clarena Renfrow
- 2019 Charlie MacFadyen
- 2021 Jeff Renard
- 2022 Lucie deLaBruere
- 2023 Amy Truchon
ISTE and ISTE’s affiliates have presented this award to nearly 500 worthy leaders since the program began. The award recognizes people who demonstrate extraordinary leadership, courage, innovation, and persistence in improving learning opportunities for students. Recipients of the awards are educators who:
- Apply available technology now
- Move forward and don’t look back
- See students as real people
- Teach through relationships, inspiring, encouraging, nurturing
- Recognize that further change is necessary but understand that it is a process
- Realize that teacher empowerment is the key element in technology integration
- Expect success
- Motivate through awareness and access to information
Winners receive an award jacket, an award certificate, a one-year membership in ISTE, and a standing invitation to the Making IT Happen reception at every ISTE conference.